Johnny Depp trial live: Actor takes a stand in defamation case against Amber Heard

Watch live how Johnny Depp takes his stand as the defamation case against Amber Heard continues

Johnny Depp has testified to testify in his $50 million (£38.2 million) defamation lawsuit against ex-wife Amber Heard.

Previously, Depp’s friend and sound engineer Keenan Wyatt testified on behalf of the Pirates of the Caribbean actor on Tuesday morning, recalling an incident where Heard yelled at him on a private jet.

Heard is being sued for defamation by Depp for suggesting he abused her in a 2018 column. Although she didn’t name him, her lawyers say her allegations made it difficult for the actor to get movie roles.

She has filed a $100 million counterclaim against Depp for nuisance and immunity from the actor’s allegations.

On the fourth day of depositions on Monday (April 18), the lawsuit opened with the second half of a pre-recorded video deposition by Dr. David Kipper, who treats Depp for addiction.

Kipper testified that he never witnessed abuse between the two, but recalled treating Depp’s severed finger following an incident in March 2015 in which the actor later claimed Heard had thrown vodka bottles at him.

Depp had previously lost a UK defamation case against The sun newspaper on the same article by Heard.

1650393294

After the marriage ended, Depp tells the court that his mother attempted suicide. He gets up and reenacts the condition he found her in that day.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:34 pm

1650393205

Depp remembers that his parents’ marriage broke up and his father left one day as if he was going to work, but taking all his belongings without saying anything. Her mother didn’t find out until she came home.

He tells the court he went to his father’s work and said “it looks like someone stole all his clothes”.

His father said, “Yes. I finished. You are the man now.”

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:33 pm

1650392989

Depp gives an emotional statement about his father, who he describes as “a very kind man” and not a confrontational person. He says there was never a time when his father lost control and attacked his mother, Betty Sue.

He testifies that the most his father would do would be to drill a hole in a wall, adding that it was a concrete wall, not a dry wall.

Depp says his father was never abusive to him or his siblings, but punished them with a belt in their mother’s direction. He remembers an incident where he swore to his father that he hadn’t done what he was being punished for. He was punished anyway, but when his father found out he was telling the truth, he apologized.

He adds that his mother would never have done that.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:29 pm

1650392405

Depp is asked about his childhood. The court has already heard testimony from their sister Christi about how cruel their mother could be to them.

“My mother was quite violent, which could be in the form of an ashtray being thrown at her head or a phone or whatever was at hand. In our home, we were never exposed to any kind of security,” he says.

Later, adding of the impact on him and his brother and sister: “We were all a little shocked. It passed and you protected yourself because you didn’t know what was going to happen.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:20 pm

1650392261

Johnny Depp testifies at trial for defamation of his ex-wife Amber Heard

(Law and Crime)

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:17 pm

1650392077

Depp notes that this is the first opportunity he has had to speak about the case.

Asked how he feels about intimate details of his life being released in court, he regrets that it didn’t come to that and it is “exposure and regrettable” that details of his and Heard’s life are being released.

“I can’t say I’m embarrassed, because I know I’m doing the right thing.”

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:14 pm

1650391977

He adds: “It took six years of trying. It’s weird when one day you’re Cinderella and in 0.6 seconds you’re Quasimodo.”

He adds, “I’m obsessed with the truth.”

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 19:12

1650391834

Says Depp: “My goal is the truth. It killed me… that people thought I was a fraud and that I lied to them. I had to wait for my opportunity to address the charges, which were criminal charges. And they just weren’t true. I felt a responsibility to clean the registry. The only way I could get to the point where I could actually speak took a full six years. And it was six years of hard times.”

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:10 pm

1650391657

Depp is asked why he is here today.

“About six years ago, Ms. Heard has committed some heinous and disturbing… criminal acts against me that were not based on any kind of truth. It was a complete shock. It just didn’t need to go in that direction, as none of that had happened,” he says.

He adds that while there were arguments, he had never hit Heard, nor had he ever hit a woman in his life and that he felt a responsibility to stand up for himself, not only for himself but also for his children who were exposed to the charges against him. their father.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:07 pm

1650391433

Johnny Depp testifies in defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard

The actor entered the witness box on the fifth day of the trial, which began Monday, April 11, in Fairfax, Virginia, following Depp’s lawsuit against Heard in March 2019. Depp is arguing that she defamed him in December. 2018. published in The Washington Post titled “I spoke out against sexual violence – and faced the wrath of our culture. That has to change”.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 19, 2022 7:03 pm