Johnny Depp trial – live: Amber Heard admits to hitting ex-husband in audio recording

Johnny Depp Explains Why He Didn’t Leave Amber Heard

Johnny Depp testified for the second day in his $50 million (£38.2 million) defamation lawsuit against ex-wife Amber Heard. The interrogation began later in the day and will continue into Thursday morning.

Heard is being sued by Depp for suggesting he abused her in a 2018 editorial she wrote. Though she didn’t name him, her lawyers allege her allegations made it difficult for the actor to get movie roles, turning him from “Cinderella to Quasimodo” in Hollywood, like the actor. Pirates of the Caribbean actor described.

The actor recalled a traumatic childhood with an abusive mother and said his relationship with Heard mirrored that, accusing her of “intimidating” him.

Depp described incidents including a fight in which her finger was cut, human feces found on her bed, and Heard’s accusation that he had thrown a phone at her in his penthouse just before the divorce proceedings began.

Audio streamed to the court revealed an argument between the couple in which Heard told Depp “you didn’t get punched” and that “I was hitting you”, in a dispute over a violent episode.

1650538800

Heard chose to apply for a restraining order on the same day as the movie’s premiere and her daughter’s birthday, says Depp

Johnny Depp says Amber Heard chose to file a “cruel” restraining order against him on my day as the Alice Through the Looking Glass her daughter’s debut and birthday.

“I felt it was incredibly cruel… I felt it was betrayal,” he told the courthouse in Fairfax, Virginia.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 12:00

1650537711

‘I didn’t punch you, I was hitting you!’: Amber Heard tells Johnny Depp in audio recording

The audio reveals that Amber Heard admitted to assaulting Johnny Depp during a dispute. The clip was played in court. Watch the moment below, or read our full report here.

Johnny Depp Trial: Amber Heard Admits to Beating Ex-Husband in Courtroom Audio

Jon SharmanApril 21, 2022 11:41 am

1650535200

Why the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard libel trial is being held in Virginia

The explosive libel trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard is unfolding well outside its normal Hollywood orbit – in a courtroom in Fairfax County, Virginia.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 11:00 am

1650531600

The bizarre story of feces in bed

It was so off, it was so bizarre and so grotesque that I could only laugh

Johnny Depp

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 10:00 am

1650528000

‘Blood was spilling’: Depp recalls vodka bottle fight that led to a severed finger

“I didn’t feel any pain at first,” he said. “I felt hot and like something was running down my hand.”

“I was looking directly at my bones coming out,” he added. “The blood was just gushing out.”

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 9:00 am

1650524400

Depp Reveals Why His Daughter Didn’t Attend Heard’s Wedding

Johnny Depp was asked about his marriage to Amber Heard on the second day of his deposition in a high-profile defamation case.

During his testimony, Depp said that his daughter Lily-Rose Depp, the eldest of his two children with Vanessa Paradis, did not attend the wedding to Heard in 2015.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 08:00

1650517200

Depp Reveals Winona Ryder Tattoo That Amber Heard Didn’t Like

Johnny Depp’s fondness for tattoos was raised during his libel trial against his ex-wife Amber Heard, when he revealed there’s one in particular she didn’t like, according to his testimony on Wednesday.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 6:00 am

1650513660

‘Endless Insult Parade’: Depp Says Relationship With Heard Mirrored His Mother’s Abuse

Johnny Depp compared his marriage to Amber Heard to his strained relationship with his mother, calling it “an endless parade of insults”.

He recalled how “degrading calls”, being “scolded” and “made for a fool” by Heard often turned into large-scale arguments.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 5:01 am

1650510957

‘The lowest point of my life’: Depp accuses Amber Heard of denying him withdrawal meds during detox

Johnny Depp accused Amber Heard of denying him withdrawal medication while trying to detox from opioids, calling it “the lowest point in my life”.

Depp told the court that while he was uncomfortable admitting it publicly, he owned a private island in the Bahamas, where he traveled with private nurse Debbie Lloyd and Heard to detox.

He told the court, during his defamation trial against his ex-wife, about the pain he felt trying to get off drugs, describing it as “like nothing I’ve ever experienced before.”

Graeme Massie reports from Los Angeles.

Oliver O’ConnellApril 21, 2022 4:15 am